Gemstones found in Alabama are: blue and yellow beryl, Smokey Quartz, and Hematite.
- State Gemstone: Star Blue Quartz
Star Blue Quartz was adopted as Alabama's State Gemstone in 1990.
- State Mineral: Hematite (Red Iron Ore)
Hematite was adopted by Alabama as its official State Mineral in 1967. Hematite (Red Iron Ore) is an oxide of iron. Although hematite is no longer actively mined, it was once heavily mined in central and northeastern Alabama.
- State Rock: Marble
Marble was adopted as Alabama's State Gemstone in 1969. Marble is found in Talladega County. Marble mined from Alabama is used in buildings throughout the US.
Useful Books & Bibliography:
- Earth Treasures: The Southeastern Quadrant, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and more - by Allan W. Eckert
Precise detailed listings, excellent index, should be in every rock-hounders back-pack.
- Alabama Trails - by Patricia Stenger Sharpe
Handy pocket guide provides information on the many hiking trails available in the beautiful state of Alabama.
- Field Collecting Gemstones and Minerals - by John Sinkankas
Probably the best general description written for the layperson about how, where, and why gem and mineral deposits form.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 3rd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- Simon and Schuster's Guide to Gems and Precious Stones - by C. Ciprianai, Kennie Lyman (Editor), Alessando Borelli
This book is one inch thick and every facing page has a full colored photo of gems or precious stones. Hardness, weights, cuts, refractions, and value of color are given for each gem.
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing