Quartz is found throughout Georgia's Mountains. Additionally, rockhounders can usually find colored quartz: Citrine and Amethyst.
State Gemstone: Quartz
Quartz was adopted as Georgia's State Gemstone in 1976.
State Mineral: Staurolite
Staurolite was adopted as Georgia's State Mineral in 1976.
Useful Books & Bibliography:
- Adventure Guide to Georgia - by Blair Howard
A Guide to Georgia.
- Field Collecting Gemstones and Minerals - by John Sinkankas
Probably the best general description written for the layperson about how, where, and why gem and mineral deposits form.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 3rd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use. Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing