State Fossil: Chesapecten jeffersonius
Chesapecten jeffersonius was adopted as Virginia's State Fossil in 1993.
Useful Books & Bibliography:
- Roadside Geology of Virginia (Roadside Geology Series) - by Keith Frye, David Alt (Editor), Donald W. Hyndman (Editor)
Virginia Geology book -- There are no better books for roadside geologizing than the Roadside Geology series.
- Field Collecting Gemstones and Minerals - by John Sinkankas
Probably the best general description written for the layperson about how, where, and why gem and mineral deposits form.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- Simon and Schuster's Guide to Gems and Precious Stones - by C. Ciprianai, Kennie Lyman (Editor), Alessando Borelli
This book is one inch thick and every facing page has a full colored photo of gems or precious stones. Hardness, weights, cuts, refractions, and value of color are given for each gem.
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing