Amber is a very light stone made from the fossilized resin of trees. This golden stone is great for large earrings as it weighs very little. Amber is used in all types of jewelry. Amber pendants with unusual inclusions such as insects are very prized.
|Unique Artisan Amber Jewelry from of JeGem|
Gemstone Jewelry Birthstone Jewelry
Amber Care, Treatments & Where
Amber is usually ranges from yellow to orange. Some amber has been found with red, green, blue, violet, and black hues. Amber often has inclusions such as air bubbles, insects or pine needles from the way it is formed. Amber has a hardness rating of 2.5.
As amber is soft, it can be easily scratched. Be certain to store amber jewelry separately from your other jewelry.
Amber has been imitated by plastic, glass, synthetic resin and other natural resins. It is often heated in oil to remove cloudiness.
Green amber is often heated-treated yellow amber.
The best amber is found in the Baltic region (the coasts of Poland and the USSR). Some of this amber has been washed to the shores of Norway, Denmark and England.
Birthstone Months with Amber
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20): Birthstone
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22): Lucky Charm
Anniversary Gemstone for Amber
Amber is not an anniversary gemstone.
Amber Themed Books
- The Quest for Life in Amber - by Roberta Poinar (Contributor), George O. Poinar
In passages that read more like an Indiana Jones screenplay than scientific research, the Poinars describe how their hobby-turned-obsession ultimately led to a breakthrough scientific finding: the discovery of preserved insect DNA in amber.
- Amber: Window to the Past - by David A. Grimaldi
This lavish book captures both the beauty and the strangeness of amber: the beauty, in glorious, honey-toned color images of some of the world's most exquisite amber artifacts; the strangeness, in close-ups of leaf fragments, tiny feathers, or whole bees buried among bubbles of ancient air.
- The Amber Book - by Ake Dahlstrom, Lief Brost (Contributor), Leif Brost
This book on amber contains details of amber's formation, geographical locations, history, folklore, identification and present-day importance in jewelry.
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 3rd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- Spiritual Value of Gem Stones - by Wally Richardson and Lenora Huett
Very sweet book on the mystical properties of gemstones.
- Gemstones of the World - by Walter Schumann
A very well written source on gemstones with great descriptions and photographs
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing
Actual Gem-related books:
Birthstones Anniversary Lore Jokes
All Gemstone Information Main Birthstone Page
Amber Mystical Properties and Lore
- Amber is said to help one be joyful and happy. It lightens the burdens of life.
- Amber has been used for decoration since the stone age.
- Amber with special markings such as the intials of ones name was thought to be a great protective talisman.
What is light as a feather and as hard as a rock?