Amethyst is a wonderful affordable purple gemstone. It is wonderful in rings, necklaces, pendants, earrings, and bracelets. It is given as a symbol of sincerity, security, and peace of mind. Amethyst engagement rings are becoming fairly popular as a symbol of ones everlasting love.
|Amethyst Jewelry courtesy of JE Gem.com|
Gemstone Jewelry Birthstone Jewelry
Facts about Amethyst
Amethyst gem stone is purple, lilac or mauve. The highest quality is transparent. It has a hardness of 7.
Clean your Amethyst in ultrasonic jewelry cleaner or with warm, soapy water and a soft bristle brush. Amethyst gems often becomes paler if kept out in the sun.
Amethyst is sometimes heat treated to create Citrine.
Amethyst Birth Stone
- February Birthstone: Modern, Traditional, and Ayurvedic Birthstone
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18): Birthstone
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20): Birthstone/Lucky Charm
- Saggitarius (Nov 22-Dec 21): Birthstone
Anniversary Gemstone for Amethyst
Amethyst is the anniversary gemstone for the 4th and 6th year of marriage.
Amethyst Gem-related Books
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 3rd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- Gemstones of the World - by Walter Schumann
A very well written source on gemstones with great descriptions and photographs
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- Gemisphere Energy Medicine: Healing Body, Mind And Spirit - by Michael Katz
This is my favorite gemstone properties reference. Very newage-ish.
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing
Mystical Properties & Lore
Amethyst provides insight on ways to solve problems. It is said to increase intelligence and spirituality. Energy healers use this gemstone for the crown chakra. Some believe that wearing this gem with pearl and 14 kt gold sometimes can help one resolve money issues.
Amethyst can be used as a symbol of sincerity, security, and peace of mind.
It is said that purple amethysts is the protector of soldiers and hunters.
15th century lore claims that wearing Amethyst or drinking from an Amethyst chalice would prevent intoxication. We haven't tried this.
Amethyst is the US State Gemstone of South Carolina (and Canadian State Gemstone of Ontario, Canada).
What happened to the nearsighted jeweler when he was eating grapes?
He almost swallowed an amethyst.