Aquamarine is a lovely, medium priced, clear light blue or blue-green stone. If you buy transparent Aquamarine it sparkles. It is very popular as it is the modern birthstone for March. Aquamarine engagement rings and aquamarine rings are extremely popular.
|Aquamarine Pendants and Necklaces courtesy of The Crystal Ball Inc|
Gemstone Jewelry Birthstone Jewelry
Facts About the Birthstone Aquamarine
- Blue Topaz is misleadingly called "Brazilian Aquamarine".
- Heat treated Blue Zircon is named "Siam Aquamarine".
- Blue glass is nicknamed "Mass Aqua".
Color & Quality:
Aquamarine is light blue, blue-green and dark blue. The color is determined by the amount of iron. Top quality Aquamarine (AAA) is transparent. It has a hardness of 7.5.
Care & Cleaning:
Carefully clean your Aquamarine jewelry in soapy warm water with a soft bristle brush. Do not use a home ultrasonic machine to clean Aquamarine. Take care to protect Aquamarine from sharp blows and scratches.
Aquamarine will fade if it is stored in the sun. Do not leave it on window sills.
Aquamarine is often heat treated and commonly irradiated.
The following misleading terms are sometimes used. These are NOT really Aquamarine:
Where Aquamarine is Found:Aquamarine is mined around the world. It is primarily found in Brazil, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia and USA (Colorado, Maine, North Carolina, and Vermont).
Birthstone Months with Aquamarine
- March Birthstone: Modern Birthstone
- October Birthstone: Other Birthstone [From somewhere else on internet]
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20): Planetary
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21): Birthstone/Lucky Charm
For the 16th and 19th year of marriage,
Aquamarine is the anniversary gemstone. It is traditional to present Aquamarine to new brides to help them be faithful and true.
Aquamarine Themed Books
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 3rd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is easy to use. Learn knowing the latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- Gemstones of the World - by Walter Schumann
A very well written source on gemstones with great descriptions and photographs
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- Gemisphere Luminary - by Michael Katz
This is my favorite gemstone properties reference. Very newage-ish.
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing
Aquamarine Mystical Properties & Lore
Some healers use Aquamarine remind their clients of an ocean of love and mercy. By doing so, they say it helps ease depression and grief. It also is said to reduce tension and worry. Other healers use aquamarine to aid in clairvoyancy.
The term "aquamarine" translates to sea water.
Aquamarine is said to re-awaken love in long-married couples and signify the making of new friends.
Aquamarine symbolizes happiness and understanding.
Legend states that aquamarine is good for curing hiccups!
Historically, one would wear aquamarine in earrings to bring love and affection. Aquamarine is used as a symbol of beauty, honesty, and loyalty.
Aquamarine is the US State Gemstone of Colorado.
What stone always wins swimming contests?