Bloodstone is an affordable gemstone. It is often used for mens jewelry, pendants and bead necklaces. A new trend is mens bloodstone rings and perfomance necklaces.
Gemstone Jewelry Birthstone Jewelry
|Bloodstone Pendants, Necklaces, Rings and Balls courtesy of The Crystal Ball Inc|
Care & Where
Bloodstone (also called Heliotrope) is dark green with red spots (resulting from Iron Oxides). It has a hardness of 7.
Sometimes, Fancy Jasper is called bloodstone. However these are very different stones as Fancy Jasper comes in many colors.
Generally, the polish will be removed if you get this type of stone wet. As with other jewelry, avoid scratches, sharp blows and harsh chemicals.
Birthstone Months with Bloodstone
- February Birthstone: Mystical Birthstone
- March Birthstone: Traditional/Ayurvedic Birthstone
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20): Birthstone
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19): Birthstone/Lucky Charm
Bloodstone is not an anniversary gemstone.
Bloodstone Themed Books
Actual Gem-related books:
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 2nd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- Gemstones of the World - by Walter Schumann
A very well written source on gemstones with great descriptions and photographs
Fun Book with Bloodstone in their title
- Bloodstone Castle - by Mirella Patzer (Author), Suzanne James (Editor)
A historical romance based in Italy that that has a bloodstone as a clue of a forgotten treassure. Very gripping book that enthralls the reader.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing
Birthstones Anniversary Lore Jokes
Gemstone Information Birthstone Chart
Mystical Properties and Lore
Though not meant to replace traditional medical treatment, Bloodstone is used
to help one become more knowledgeable in the ways of the world.
In the middle Ages, Bloodstone was attributed special powers as the spots were thought to be the blood of Jesus Christ. Because of this, this stone has been used in Christian art.
Bloodstone is said to help with physical endurance and strength. It was often considered a mans gem stone as a result. It is said to be helpful in business affairs as well.
In ancient times, Bloodstone was thought to be able to stop hemorrhages with the merest touch. This stone was also used to heal tumors and cure blood poisons.
Powdered bloodstone has been used as an aphrodisiac. This powdered gem has also been used as a medicine in India.
Why did the aquamarine replace the bloodstone?
People were tired of seeing all of those bloody spots.
What is Count Dracula's favorite gem?