Chrysoprase is often referred to as Australian Jade due to its wonderful green color. It is often used for beads, cabochons and cameos.
|Chrysoprase Necklace and Pendants courtesy of The Crystal Ball Inc|
What it is
Chrysoprase is apple green chalcedony. Its color can go to a darker green. However, if it is dark green this gem is simply called prase. The shade of green is due to the amount of nickel. Chrysoprase has a hardness rating of 7.
Chrysoprase will fade in the sunlight. It is generally durable, but as will all gemstones, it is recommended to store it separately to prevent accidental scratching.
Whare It Is Found
- May Birthstone: Other Birthstone
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20): Birthstone
Chrysoprase is not an anniversary gemstone.
Gemstone Jewelry Birthstone Jewelry
Chrysoprase Themed Books
Actual Gem-related books:
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying & Selling New 2nd Edition - by Antoinette L. Matlins & Antonio C. Bonanno
This book is really great for knowing he latest gems, synthetics, treatments, and instruments. Easy to use.
- Gemstone Buying Guide: A Guide to Buying - by Renee Newman
Very nice gemstone identification book.
- The Curious Lore of Precious Stones - by George Frederick Kunz
The definitive book on fascinating, traditional gem lore. Very practical.
- Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks) - by Cally Hall, Harry Taylor (Photographer)
A field guide to gemstones. Nice pictures and good, brief, well-written descriptions of over 130 varieties of gemstones.
- Spiritual Value of Gem Stones - by Wally Richardson and Lenora Huett
Very sweet book on the mystical properties of gemstones.
- Gemstones of the World - by Walter Schumann
A very well written source on gemstones with great descriptions and photographs
Thanks to Amazon.com for fast, efficient, and reliable book processing
Mystical Properties & Lore
Chrysoprase is used for spiritual protection. Some say it helps with fertility.
Chrysoprase was said said to be a "Victory Stone." It was used by Alexander the Great in battle.
In the 1800's, Chrysoprase was said to help thieves become invisible.
What gemstone seems to get the highest honors at Christopher's award banquets?