Healing Properties of Gemstones and Crystals
is offered here as a service and
is not meant to replace any medical treatment.
No guarantee is made towards validity. Use this information at your own risk.
This is my personal belief on how high quality gemstones work for me.
Gemstone Therapy Books
Therapeutic Gemstone Properties
I only use the highest quality stones. High quality stones are undyed (if possible), have no chips/fractures, and are not irradiated (to enhance color). I recommend using rounded stones for gemstone therapy.
The gemstone properties listed here are for rounded, highest quality gemstones. Non-rounded gem stones may have different effects.
- Amazonite: Improves self worth. I find that I have more confidence when I wear this stone.
- Amber: Lift heaviness. Amber is great at lifting the heaviness of burdens -- allowing happiness to come through.
- Amethyst: Spiritual Upliftment. This is also the present carrier of the purple color ray. I wear a short necklace of this when I need to communicate effectively. I place this on my stomach/liver when I have stomach problems.
- Apatite: Communication. I wear this stone when there has been a misunderstanding. It is also helpful for fighting viruses.
- Aquamarine: Remind one of the ocean of love and mercy. It can help one understand difficult situations from a love-filled viewpoint. I either wear an aquamarine stone or gaze into an aquamarine crystal. I recommend aquamarine or rose quartz for those who are experiencing a lot of grief.
- Blue Aventurine: Circulation. I get very happy when I wear this stone. I also use this to help clear my congestion.
- Green Aventurine: Physical healing. I either place this around my neck or on the area where healing is needed. This is the stone I would choose for overall healing support. For major illnesses, I would use emerald and/or frosted quartz as well. Transparent Aventurine is extremely powerful - however, it needs washing daily (dry flat). Immature transparent aventurine will fade.
- Cape Amethyst: Inner alignment. This seems to balance the inner bodies (emotional, spiritual, etc.) as well as provide more energy. I use a very small sphere (4-6mm) on acupressure points for 1-5 minutes to clear energy blockages. For larger spheres (8mm), use less than a minute. Also good for arthritis - wrap strands of cape amethyst beads around aching joint.
- Carnelian: Balance creativity and mental processes. When my husband was wheezing from allergies, I placed this on him. He stopped wheezing within 30 seconds. When I removed it, he started wheezing again. This worked best with natural carnelian (bright orange). However, clear man-made carnelian worked on him as well. Wash carnelian under water after wearing it. Carnelian is the carrier of the orange ray.
- Citrine: Upliftment. I wear this to help align my spine. I either place a strand along my spine or wear it around my neck. Citrine encourages the yellow ray to support the body. This stone also helps one process energy work.
- Coral: Emotional Foundation. Coral protects and strengthens one's emotional foundation.
- Diamond: Increase personal clarity. I find this aligns me with my higher purpose as well as offers many healing properties. I have had profound results with diamond therapy.
- Emerald: Physical and emotional healing. This is the strongest physical healing gemstone that I know. I use it by placing it on the area which needs healing or wearing it around my neck. Emerald is the carrier of the green ray.
- Green Fluorite: Hormone Balance. This stone has been helpful with hormonal changes such as PMS and menopause.
- Purple Rainbow Fluorite: Change. Helps one get out of ruts.
- Jade: Relaxation. Jade works wonders for my husband when placed on a sore shoulder or back. I have used it to reduce tension in my life. I find that I am calmer when I wear jade.
- Kunzite: Emotional Support. I use this stone to help my mind and my emotions be in sync.
- Lapis: Understand the mind. Expanding your viewpoint. It is good for connecting the heart and the mind when worn over the heart.
- Leopardskin Jasper: Bring what one needs. Note that it doesn't necessarily bring in what you want. However, it is a wonderfully supporting stone.
- Mahogany Obsidian: Decision making. It has been helpful in healing my gums as well.
- Malachite: Bring harmony into one's life. I have done many meditations with malachite to gather knowledge on gemstones and on myself.
- Moldavite: Grounding stone. Really puts one in their body. This is extremely strong -- you may wish to try black onyx for grounding first. It is rumored that it helps you talk to other sentient beings (humans and whales and dolphins). I haven't tried this.
- Grey Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's powers by cleansing blocks. This can be hard to wear.
- Orange Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's help by comforting you. This is less powerful than white - but helpful when one really needs a certain stone.
- White Moonstone: Helps one accept other stone's help through highlighting the others effects. I like this moonstone the most. When worn by itself is balances yin/yang.
- Moss Agate: Get in touch with nature. Plant knowledge.
- Mother of Pearl: Protection; Know mother's love. This stone is a great protective stone.
- Black Obsidian: Grounding stone. I gaze into it for a very short time (1-5 minutes) each day for 3 days when I need insight into a problem. I use black obsidian when I have been unable to understand what aquamarine has been trying to show me. This is a very strong stone. I use it sparingly.
- Black Onyx: Helps one to change bad habits. This is great when used in a necklace. It is a great grounding stone. Black onyx is almost always dyed.
- Mexican Onyx: Helps one sleep better.
- Black Opal: See self as Soul. I find this stone is great for helping one see the possibilities of how one can be all they can be. This stone seems to strengthen bones too.
- Opal: See possibilities; discover a broader view. I use opal to see all the possibilities in a situation. I find it very freeing when I feel blocked in a situation. Some people find this stone very hard to wear. I find it wonderful. A little opal can go a long way.
- Fresh Water Pearl: Enable one to accept love. See the good parts of oneself so you can love yourself and others more.
- Peridot: Brings the energies from in the aura to the physical body. This is useful after energy work -- however, one needs to be certain that they are bringing in the new energy -- not the stuff they are trying to purge. Use with caution. If you muscle test (or use a pendulum), test for it.
- Poppy Jasper: Gain a positive outlook. I find that I am very happy when I wear this stone.
- Frosted Quartz: Balance. It is wonderfully soothing.
- Rose Quartz: Emotional balance. Very good for expressing and soothing emotions. Try to find undyed rose quartz. I find that gold doesn't mix with rose quartz.
- Rhodonite: Emotional support. Helps one take the next step emotionally.
- Rhodocrosite: Change. Gives one confidence while making desired changes. Very supportive. One can make large changes very quickly with this stone.
- Ruby: Love; Open the heart. It allows me to overcome fear. Carrier of the red ray.
- Sapphire: Mental clarity. Clear mental garbage. Carrier of the blue ray.
- Sodalite: Protects from external negative energy. I use it by computers to help reduce the damage from EMF.
- Sunstone: Enhances contemplations. I find my meditations are clearer when I wear this stone. Also, I remember my dreams more. I use it for a few days in a row when I find I have not been remembering my dreams.
- Sugilite: Absorbs garbage from wearer's aura. I feel lighter when I wear this stone. It uplifts me and gives me more energy.
- Tanzanite: Changes. Uplifts and opens the heart.
- Green Tourmaline: Promote male balance and physical healing. I do not recommend this for females (use emerald or aventurine).
- Pink Tourmaline: Promote female balance and protection.
- Tree Agate: Introspection. Helps one view themselves with more clarity and see the world through a broader viewpoint.
- Unikite: Balances physical/emotions.
Discover the healing properties of unknown gemstones for yourself. Find out what is true for you. Keep your stone with you as much as possible for a week. Place it next to your bedside when you sleep at night; wear it or put it on your desk during the day. Pay attention to your moods, your interactions with others, and your dreams. Do you have any insights? Try asking the question, "What does this stone do?" before going to sleep. It may help your unconscious/higher self/your inner guide tell you what the stone does for you.
Gemstone Therapy Books
The Best and Most Reliable Gemstone ReferenceHere is my favorite Gemstone Therapy reference.
Gemstone Energy Medicine: Healing Body, Mind And Spirit by Michael Katz
US/Canada toll free: 1-800-727-8877
503-241-3642 (voice) ; 503-241-9673 (fax)
Gemisphere (formerly Golden Age Institute) has a catalog which is really nice. It features nice pictures of each necklaces as well as its therapeutic properties. They offer very good classes and home study courses are available.
Below is a list of books I have found useful ordered by my evaluation of their value. (Links to Amazon.com for quick, reliable service - and discount prices!)
Gemisphere Luminary - by Michael Katz
This is my favorite reference. Everything about these gemstones works as described. This information has helped me make desired changes as well as help others.
Love Is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - by A. Melody
This is an extremely comprehensive book. There are hundreds of stones explained in detail. Additionally, it explains crystal configurations, programming crystals, and practical applications.
Love Is in the Earth - Mineralogical Pictorial: Treasures of the Earth - by A. Melody
A companion book for Melody's "Love is in the Earth."
Aora Gemstone Oracle; Cards to Explore the Crystal Realms With Book - by James Mc Keon (Illustrator), Noreen Levi (Illustrator)
A fun way to learn about gemstones featuring colorful gemstone cards. Learn how to use your intuition to discover what stone to wear.
Gem Elixirs and Vibrational Healing - by Gurudas
Though I have not found gemstone elixirs to be very effective, the many descriptions of the gemstone properties are quite accurate.
Crystal Wisdom - by Dolfyn
This is a good reference book for anyone involved with crystals. It gives great details on various forms and types of crystals.
Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones - by Katrina Raphaell
A comprehensive, easy-to-understand guide to the use of crystals and gems for internal growth, healing, and balance in your daily life. I find that using Gemstone crystals needs MUCH more practice and knowledge than gemstone spheres.
Crystal Healing - by Katrina Raphaell
Second book in the series. Very well written.
Crystalline Transmission: A Synthesis of Light - by Katrina Raphaell
Third book in the series. Very well written too.
Spiritual Value of Gem Stones - by Wally Richardson and Lenora Huett
Very sweet book that goes into the spiritual properties, healing properties and energies of gemstones.
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic - by Scott Cunningham
Good references, good explanations, and nice pictures.
Healing With Gemstones and Crystals (Crossing Press Healing Series) - by Diane Stein
Learn how to choose gemstones and work with chakras.
The American Indian: Secrets of Crystal Healing - by Luc Bourgault
Crystal healing methods from the Apache and Cherokee tribes. This is a very helpful and informative book.
Complete Crystal Guidebook: A Practical Path to Self Development, Empowerment and Healing
A very nice quartz crystal therapy book. It discusses many different aspects involved in healing.
Mantras, Yantras, & Fabulous Gems...healing secrets of the Ancient Vedas - by Howard M Beckman
This is a book oriented towards vedic medicine and gemstones. Very interesting.
Ancient Astrological Gemstones & Talismans: The Complete Science of Planetary Gemology - by Richard S. Brown
This book explores a little-known branch of gemology dealing with India and its system of astrological gemology.
Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth - by Peter Kelder
Though not a gemstone therapy book, this book features 5 exercises designed to balance the chakras. These exercises work extremely well. I use them every day. Practice at your own pace. What a wonderful healing book.
Crystal Power, Crystal Healing: The Complete Handbook - by Michael Gienger
Recommended by others; not reviewed.
Crystal Medicine - by Marguerite Elsbeth
Recommended by others; not reviewed.
Crystal Co Creators - by Dorothy Roeder
Recommended by others; not reviewed.
If you know of a book that is truly wonderful, please send me the name and author. Thank you!For suggestions, questions or comments, please send them to A more extensive version of this page may be found at: Loretta Elaine's Gems for Friends Gemstone Therapy Page.